The Koi Kuff is a teaching project as I will be teaching this design as my advanced beginner project. There is not a massive amount of repousse - mostly the fish body and the flowers. The bulk of the work is the lining cause each of those scales is formed using an extra small curved liner.
During the repousse, the koi body has two curves that must be taken into account - the curve across the body which is perpendicular to the back ridge of the fish and then the curve long the fish which must tapered to the front and back to give the perspective appearance of the koi swimming toward you.
I have done this design a 4 times now but each one has one extra step - the lining, the repousse, the chasing, and lastly cut out and riveted to the leather cuff. Actually I am doing it a 5th time but this one is for me, in silver.
Project Name: Koi Cuff.
Material: 20 gauge silver riveted to suede leather.
Related Posts: Prep for class, Teaching Sample Almost Done
- I started this design back in 2012 but ended up doing the Calamari Cuff instead.
- I put the tabs for the rivets on the outside of the raised circle to not distract from the overall design.
- I did the entire design in Adobe Illustrator so I can now scale it perfectly!
- I need a bit more practice with riveting.
- Bend the piece AFTER riveting
- I like doing panels like this because it is enclosed in the circle and then it can be easily finished and riveted to the leather. I will be doing more of these.