Last Sunday, I trimmed the corners, so the cuff would be easier to put on, and then soldered on the end bars. Then it was finishing the filing and sanding. Afterwards I polished it and applied a liver of sulfur patina. I was not happy with the colors I was getting, it was too gray, so I took the cuff and put it into the pickle to remove some of the patina and reapplied it, I did get some blues but was still not happy so I waited until this weekend to remove it reapply again - that would be application number three.
On Friday, since I was off from work (YEA, THREE DAY WEEKEND) I removed the patina, again, and then prepared my patina and very carefully applied it. Friday night I left the cuff in very cold water to neutralize and to arrest the reaction.
Saturday I had my second class in black smithing, we made a stake turner, and so I had to wait until I returned home to remove the patina from the squid body and tentacles. I used a small polishing wheel in a hand tool and very carefully buffed off the patina. I had a couple of slips and thus removed some patina on the back ground - oops.
There were too many of these dings for me so I went back down stairs, mixed up some more patina and did another application (number 4) but this time I did not remove what I already had. As a result, yes the squid got covered again, but the background went even more blue! And I was happy again. This time when I removed the patina from the squid I used the knife edged polishing disk and used my hand to protect the background from getting dinged.
I now have to take some good pictures. I want to photo stitch them together so you can see all of it at once. But in the mean time, here are some for you to doooooolllllllll over.